I was craving minestrone when I made this soup. It all started with the white beans. I bought a regular dry pack of white small beans and soaked them for over 24 hours to de-gas them. It works, it really does.
- I package of white beans, soaked for 24 hours
- Herb blend (Rosemary, Sage, Oregano and Thyme)
Boil beans in a medium pot, covering with water and herbs for about 45 minutes on medium heat or until soft.
So a day later, I gathered up some ingredients for a yummy minestrone. Fresh Veggies, Meat from the Butcher, Pasta and Herbs from my family garden.
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup of parsley
- Blend of fresh herbs, about 1 cup mix of: Rosemary, Oregano, Sage and a sprig of Mint.
- 1-1/2 pounds of lean ground pork sausage
- 4-5 Quarts of water
- 1 bundle of chard leaves, diced small
- Large Can of Diced Tomatoes
- Small Pasta (Like Wheels or Macaroni)
Melt butter and add onions, cook for 2 minutes then add carrots, potatoes, celery, parsley and herbs. Cook veggies for about 5 minutes and add lean ground pork sausage. Stir everything together and cook until sausage starts to cook, about 7 minutes.
Add water to the pot and bring to a boil, add diced tomatoes and chard. The chard cooks quickly so it goes in last. Maintain the heat on medium boil until veggies are semi soft (poke with a fork, but don’t yet fall off).
Then add baby pasta, these will usually take about 6 minutes and cook while the pot and soup is still hot, so make sure to throw them in when you know the soup is almost done.