I love making Irish Soda Bread. It’s easy, very flavorful and can be modified to include currants, raisins, seeds, herbs. I based the recipe I use on other recipes, so I often borrow ideas and make them my own. This is one of those recipes.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 3/4 cups cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp of caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp of mixed herbs like (rosemary, oregano and thyme), Italian blend or Herbs De Provence
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour.
- With a fork, lightly beat the buttermilk, egg, and orange zest together in a measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Add herbs and caraway seeds. It will be very wet.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times into a round loaf. Place the loaf on the prepared sheet pan and lightly cut a line into the top of the bread with a serrated knife.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. When you tap the loaf, it will have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
- 10 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Sprigs of Thyme 3-4
Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables.
Pour the apple juice over the brisket. Sprinkle on the spices from the packet, cover, and set the cooker on High.
Cook the brisket for about 7-8 hours. An hour before serving, place the cabbage on top and cook for 1 more hour.