The Crab and Shrimp boil is easy, delicious and a favorite for cooking for groups of people. Here is how I did it.
- 1 crab, quartered and cleaned, about 2 pounds
- 1 pound of Tiger Prawns
- 10-12 small red potatoes
- 1 lemon
- 4 ears of corn, chopped into 4 pieces
- 1 package of beef links
- McCormick’s Crab and Shrimp Boil OR do it yourself*
I found that on the first boil, the spices in the packet are not as fragrant as adding your own. (Here’s where the basic spice wheel comes in handy) I put a tsp of Mustard Seed, Corriander Seed, Dill Seed, Bay Leaves, Red Pepper Flakes and Black Pepper. If you dont have it, I suggest ripping open the package to let the flavors mix more. (Note: I did not use Zataran’s, it has artificial flavors and doesn’t compare to actual spices).
Everything has timing (cook time) so you have to do these in order. Helps to prep all items first and dump in one at a time, stirring between ingredients 😉
- Add 1 -1/2 quarts of water (or 3/4 full pot of water) on high heat
- Add spices or crab boil packet, then
- Add red potatoes, then let boil for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, chop beef links or brats and add to pot
- Chop corn and add to pot
- Add lemon juice to raw crab and dump that in the pot,
- Stir and add in Prawns, these will cook fast
- About 7 minutes later, everything should be cooked.
- Drain (save a cup or two of broth) and place on a large plate.
Now make some butter sauce, by combining the spiced broth with butter, Parmesan and a little bread crumbs. Makes a perfect dipping sauce to serve with your crab boil.