Every now and then, I like to make something cheesy and comforting yet without all the calories. I started making this “skinny sauce” and like to use it for my Au Gratin and Macaroni and Cheese. I made 4 portions in this pie pan and calculated it as 175 calories per portion.
- 2 medium/large red potatoes or 3 cups of potato slices
- 1 teaspoon of Savory (or Herbs de Provence or Italian Seasoning) for herbal flavor
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Slice Potatoes into wedges. For 4 portions, I sliced 2 medium to large red potatoes. I boiled them in about 3 cups of water with the savory, salt and pepper. Cooked to about 8 minutes, cooked through yet not mushy.
I drain the water from the potatoes, yet keep a little. Like 1/4 cup of the herbed water. Then I make the sauce in the drained pan.
- 1-2 tablespoons or pats of butter
- 1/4 cup herbed water from potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of cracked salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Cream Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan Cheese
Heat butter in pan, add water and milk. Let boil and add salt. Add Cream Cheese and Yogurt or Sour Cream and break down with a fork. Let boil for 3 minutes or so and add Parmesan as you stir and thicken the sauce. Heat Oven to 375 degrees. Arrange your Potatoes in a Pie pan. I like to save some of the herbs from the water. Pour Sauce over Potatoes in Pan. Sprinkle a little more Parmesan and cracked pepper or cayenne. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn on high broil for 5 minutes or raise heat to 400 to crisp the top.