I love the savory flavors that acorn squash adds to dishes, so I decided to try making a healthier version of creamy polenta by using acorn squash that was first roasted and made into a puree.
- 1 acorn squash, chopped into pieces
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp of butter -melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake for about 30-45 minutes until soft.
- Remove skins from acorn squash, chop into small pieces and mash. Mix with 1 tsp of melted butter or a little olive oil. Set aside
- 6 cups of water
- 1-3/4 yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of butter
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a heavy large saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
- Add in the acorn squash mixture after the cornmeal, working the pieces into the polenta as it cooks.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes
- Turn off the heat. Add the butter, and stir until melted.